When the word ‘cannabis’ comes to mind, you likely think of two popular cannabinoids: delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). While THC offers psychoactive effects described as a “high” feeling, CBD does not have these psychoactive effects. Instead, it treats conditions like chronic pain, migraines, anxiety, and more.
While these are popular cannabinoids, they're not the only ones produced by the cannabis plant. In fact, more than 100 cannabinoids exist in marijuana. More recently, cannabidiol (CBD) has stolen the spotlight due to its several therapeutic properties.
What is CBN? If you're unfamiliar, this is likely due to the lack of studies available for this cannabinoid. Just like CBD and THC, its benefits are still being investigated. However, users of this cannabis component share it has shown much promise in helping treat certain ailments.
This guide will go over everything CBN related, from what it is to the benefits involved. Let's dive in!
What Is CBN?
Cannabinol (CBN) is a compound found in the cannabis plant. It's created from tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). When marijuana is stored for long periods of time, it begins to oxidize. This leads to a change of color, smell, and taste. The oxidation causes THC to convert to CBN.
This process allows cannabinol or CBN to have a different effect than THC. The intake of CBN won't cause heavy psychoactive effects like THC would. Instead, it's regularly used to produce mild psychoactive effects that help lessen pain and induce sleep.
Potential Benefits of CBN
While research on CBN is scarce, preclinical studies suggest it offers therapeutic benefits. Here are some of them:
Relieving Chronic Muscle Pain
Among the benefits of CBN is pain relief. A2019 study conducted on rats found that CBN decreased muscle sensitization. It found that CBN could provide pain relief for chronic muscle pain disorders like fibromyalgia. This is a condition that causes pain all over the body.
It may even relieve temporomandibular disorders. Chronic muscle pain conditions cause pain in the joints, nerves, and jaw muscles. Individuals looking for a holistic approach to these ailments find relief with CBN.
While some inflammation is fine, too much signifies an illness is present. CBN has been known to be an anti-inflammatory agent. It's capable of helping with conditions that lead to swelling of the joints, like arthritis. While more research needs to be done, CBN is believed to help individuals suffering from arthritis and similar conditions.
A2012 study involving rodents showed that CBN increased appetite in rats subjected to this cannabinoid. This suggests it could affect appetite stimulation. THC is well-known to be an appetite stimulant. CBN is less potent, making it a possible alternative for those seeking appetite stimulation minus the high feeling.
Improved sleep is perhaps most notable when it comes to the benefits of CBN. One of every four adults living in the United Statesdevelops insomnia every year. Several factors among them cause difficulty sleeping:
- Poor sleeping habits
- Mental health disorders like depression
- Irregular sleep schedules
Among the solutions to improve sleeping patterns aresupplements like MDsleep. With them, many have found a natural solution to staying up late at night. This supplement contains CBN, which has sedative properties that could help relieve insomnia.
Along with CBN supplements like MDsleep, additional tips for better sleep include:
- Having a consistent sleep schedule
- Sleeping 7 hours per night
- Limiting naps during the day
- Limiting nicotine, caffeine, and alcohol
- Meditate or exercise regularly
Need CBN for sleep? Try MDsleep today!
Does CBN Have Any Side Effects?
The exact side effects of CBN are still unknown as there aren't enough clinical studies. However, when taken in large amounts, possible drowsiness and sedation could occur. It's for this same reason CBN helps with sleeping and relaxation. Therefore, taking it during the day or while driving is not recommended.
Something else worth noting is that CBN could lead to a failed drug test. Too much of this cannabinoid could give a false positive for THC. If you are worried about showing a false positive when using CBN, some tips to get it out of your system are:
- Eating high-fiber food
- Exercising and sweating it out
- Drinking plenty of water
- Urinating as much as possible
CBN vs. CBD vs. THC: How Do They Compare?
It's important to understand that CBN is not CBD or THC. While they may all induce some form of sleepiness, the effect is different. Here's what you need to know about the three:
- Cannabinol (CBN).CBN is formed after the cannabis Sativa plant is harvested as a degradation product of THC. When THC is exposed to oxidation (excessive amounts of heat and light), it turns into CBN. Unlike THC, CBN doesn't have psychoactive effects.
- Cannabidiol (CBD).This is one of the most popular cannabinoids found in cannabis. It's similar to CBN, but CBD isn't directly derived from THC. It actually exists independently within the plants. It's been studied more extensively than CBN, making it more popular in retail. Sometherapeutic benefits of CBD include pain relief, alleviation of anxiety symptoms, and reduced arthritis symptoms.
- Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).This is the component that gives you that “high” feeling. It's the main psychoactive compound found in cannabis and controls pain, mood, and other feelings.
Cannabinol is understood to be a weaker version of THC. After breaking down the THC components found in the cannabis plant, CBN is formed. This less potent version of CBN is about 25% as effective as THC,, which means it has several of its benefits minus the psychoactive components.
What is MDsleep?
MDsleep is a sustainably sourced supplement for individuals who have difficulty sleeping. It's cruelty-free, which means it has not harmed any animals in the production process. Nor does its existence cause any deficit to animals. This is a major concern for many new supplements produced with animal-sourced ingredients or tested on animals to determine their safety. Unlike some other products, we test our products on humans for the most humane and accurate determination of their efficiency.
Similar to the above, the product is not sourced using GMOs or produced around GMOs (genetically modified organisms). Some activist groups have voiced concerns about potential immorality surrounding GMOs, as well as possible toxicity. To avoid this altogether, MDbio does not use GMOs in the production of MDsleep. Our products are sourced with all-natural ingredients derived from hemp.
MDsleep is developed using a few well-known ingredients, among them:
- Organic Full-Spectrum Hemp.This offers a natural source of phytocannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes.
- Hops Extract (Flower).This ingredient has been used for centuries to calm feelings of restlessness and promote relaxation. Both help towards a good night's sleep.
- Valerian Extract (Root).This herbal extract works wonders for calming anxiety, increasing feelings of relaxation, and promoting levels of GABA, which results inbetter sleep.
- GABA. This amino acid is used to alleviate stress (both mental and physical). It promotes relaxation by creating a sense of calmness.
- L-Theanine.Another amino acid, this ingredient, is extracted from tea leaves. It helps reduce stress, promotes feelings of calm, and improves the quality of sleep.
Altogether, these ingredients make for great sleep. They are truly a premium grouping of sleep-inducing ingredients.
How Do You Take CBN?
There are a few ways to consume CBN. As it increases in popularity, it can be taken in the following forms:
- Vaping liquids
- Skin patches
Further, since CBN comes from THC, it's only available in states where marijuana is legal. These include, but aren't limited to Alabama, California, Florida, Illinois, Ohio, Rhode Island, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, among others.
Users can expect to feel the effects within 30 to 180 minutes. The time frame depends on how CBN is consumed and the dosage amount taken.
CBN For Sleep: Try MDsleep Today!
Further research has yet to be conducted regarding the benefits of CBN and its effects on humans. Since it's risen significantly in popularity, we hope to see future studies back up the benefits this cannabinoid offers. However, some research has shown that CBN offers benefits like relieving chronic pain, reducing inflammation, stimulating appetite, and improving sleep.
With MDsleep, you'll significantly improve your sleeping patterns as it contains CBN, among other well-known ingredients like organic full-spectrum hemp, hops extract, and valerian root. Combined, these ingredients work wonders for quality sleep.Learn more about it here!